Followers

Monday 6 March 2017

Crumbs in the cutlery

How does it get there? Who puts it there? 
My cutlery drawer is constantly having to be emptied and cleaned because of little bits that seem to make a bee line for it. They are not food crumbs, I do all my prep on the other side of the kitchen.

It can't be me as there are never ends of yarn or bits of cotton thread in there, I do tend to leave a trail behind me at times.

Oh well, not to worry it all got cleaned again this morning. I also had a major sort out in the fridges, I have a small under counter one for all my veg and any fruit that needs cold storage and the tall fridge freezer one has everything else.
All started jars and bottles live in here along with dairy and any salad stuff lives in the drawer. I also keep raw meat and fish on the bottom shelf.




fridge freezer, see all the miss-matched containers.


started pickles, chutneys etc.


started jams and jellies.


The small fridge, the top shelf holds all my stir fry veg and that is empty, I cooked it all yesterday, so the baskets are out for cleaning.

I have been fishing around on the shelves looking for the right jar of pickle or the right bottle of sauce and the glass shelves make it a rattly noisy job. Enough was enough, now everything is stored, in family groups, in plastic containers. I did not go on a shopping fest but used the things that I had already. I am not a lover of plastic but it is very convenient and easy to keep clean. 

This is not a new idea for me, I have been storing my herbs and spices like this for years.



The curry basket.

I have others with Italian, Chinese, Random and Baking spices in, it makes it so easy to get the right mix, just lift the basket out and all are to hand. I keep them in the pantry in the dark, they last longer that way. I buy ones that I use most in bulk, cumin and turmeric for curries and mixed spice for baking. 
There is a basket, bigger, for pulses as I buy these in larger quantities as well.

You get the idea, it is all about making things as easy and simple as possible.

The rest/exercise treatment for my elbow has done its job and I am pain free now, I did some more of Fran's socks this morning while I watched Katy at Inside number 23 on YouTube.

The weather today has been a mixed batch, drizzle and cold wind, warm sun shine and grey clouds and rain, pick a season, any season. The only things we haven't had are freezing fog and snow OOPS I never said that, the weather Gremlins may be reading.

Knit and natter tomorrow, yippee.

The time has come, the Walrus said, to speak of many things. But not until tea has been made and drunk.

                           TTFN                                         Pam




.




17 comments:

  1. I have always wondered that about my cutlery drawer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a small drawer next to our cooker in which we keep our spices, saw it on TV and nicked the idea, we love opening the drawer and the cupboard below, the smells are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 'best' cutlery drawer gets crummy too and I cannot work out why. I have been tidying my craft stuff today and found all sorts of interesting things, including a load of sticky labels. My baskets and boxes are clearly named now!! We call those baskets "Peggy baskets" in our family because my Auntie Peggy bought us a whole stack of them when we were first married. A useful gift - many stil going strong 37 years later. Blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love how organised your fridge is! I'm ashamed and going to have a tidy (tomorrow!). x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant idea of using baskets in the fridge :) I use them in the under sink cupboard and the bathroom.So why did I never think to use them in the fridge? My adult son has a habit of pushing things to the back and putting things on the wrong shelves,so some items get opened unnecessarily.This could well be the solution. I enjoy seeing the socks and love your choice of colours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a gremlin who used to do this, no more though.

      Delete
  6. Pleeeeeease don't make me clean out the herb and spice cupboard...lol....it really could do with it though.
    A bit of sunshine and a lot of rain again here. Getting very tired of paddling now-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do it and group like with like it will save time in the future. I am basically lazy and save my energy for the things I like doing.

      Delete
  7. That is a very good idea for storage.
    I have a couple, an old fridge half drawer,
    And a basket in mine, but I need better fitting containers,
    Like your baskets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite shocked at just how many I had that were just not being used, they don't match but hey ho.

      Delete
  8. I could do with a fridge re-vamp and I love your ideas of having things in baskets :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it on something years ago and just rolled it out for the fridge. saves so much time and arm ache rooting through the fridge shelves.

      Delete
  9. The person who puts the crumbs in the drawer is that same person who nicks the socks from the washer, so you end up with odd socks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm I think you have a valid point there.

      Delete
  10. THAT is a very good idea! ( off to sort my own fridge)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.